• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relinquishing rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I live in Indiana. My youngest son (17) has been in jail now for a little over a year. He's needs more help than I can give him, both mentally and physically. Someone suggested reliquishing my parental rights so that the state would keep helping him since I can't. What exactly does this mean? He is due to be released soon and I cannot take him home due to surgery and recovery. Can anyone help with this? He needs the daily counselling and watching over, and I just can't do it. There has been too many burned bridges for what's left of the family to take him in, so family help is out. The state does not want to continue helping without them having custody.



I'm an attorney in Indiana and will try to answer your question:

Contact your county's Office of Family and Children and ask how you can go about doing what you need to do to get the help that your son needs but that you cannot provide.

They're often tough to get a hold of, but they work hard and try to help when they can. Just be persistent....

Hope this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential