• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

relocate for one day repair?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sabine26

As a renter in Southern California, is my landlord required to relocate me or allow me to deduct any rent if he is making repairs to my rental unit that make it uninhabitable for just one day? Meaning - not even overnight?

Thanks in advance for any info!

FarmerJ

Sit down and talk to your LL , see what he /she has to say. Your not entitled to anything YOU certainly are free to negotiate as long as you remember that if you ask too much the LL will decline and possibly refuse to renew your lease when its up for renewal OR may make what could have been a 20.00 per month increase 30.00 just to re coup the discount/credit you asked for.

sabine26

Okay thank you FarmerJ and Alaska Landlord for the very prompt responses to my question - I really appreciate it!

To clarify, I would consider the apartment uninhabitable for the day because there will be no running water or drainage available at all, the repair work is to exterior plumbing lines. This is a non-issue for the other tenants on the same property because they are away at work all day. However, I and one other person are stay-at-home people and it's a fairly major inconvenience to spend the entire day hanging out in coffeeshops, the library, etc. I'm working on finding a solution on my own (a friend may be out of town), but just in case, I'd like to know what my landlord's legal responsibility is because he's a decent person and we've have a good relationship, but he's just an inexperienced, amateur landlord who inherited the property. Once something is pointed out to him as his legal responsibility, he'll suck it up and do it, but it's usually up to me to explain it to him!

Any further advice or info would be most welcome!

sabine26

Perhaps for most people this would not have been a "major inconvenience" but for an elderly woman with health issues, no transportation, and on a fixed income, yes as a matter of fact it is.

There's no need to pass judgement. I was merely trying to obtain legal information and assist my neighbor. If you have something useful to contribute, please do. Otherwise, please don't waste your time or mine. Thanks.

FarmerJ

Sab your nieghbor doesnt have to leave on acct of no water, what your nieghbor can do is fill a tea kettle up, use a big plastic bowl as wash basin, for hands. Toilet , well it could sit in the bowl from the time they turn the water off until the time they turn it back on. This way she doesnt have to leave ! if nothing else she could use a bucket to hold water for hand wash ETC and leave the tea kettle filled for drinking needs.

BL

Sab your nieghbor doesnt have to leave on acct of no water, what your nieghbor can do is fill a tea kettle up, use a big plastic bowl as wash basin, for hands. Toilet , well it could sit in the bowl from the time they turn the water off until the time they turn it back on. This way she doesnt have to leave ! if nothing else she could use a bucket to hold water for hand wash ETC and leave the tea kettle filled for drinking needs.
Another thing I do when the water is going to be turned off a short time , is to fill the bathtub up with water .

You can use this to wash with , and if you aren't comfortable letting waste sit in the toilet bowl is to get a 5 gal .bucket full of water and dump it in the toilet . The waste will go down .

I put clean water in jugs ( rinsed out milK Gal. jugs work good - for cooking - coffee- tea whatever ) and keep them in the fridge .

Do all this before the water gets shut off .

Cvillecpm

NO * if you even requested any such nonsense from me as your landlord, I'd give you a 30 day notice or not renew your lease....now MOVING, that is an INCONVENIENCE!!

CA LL

Aboslutely no obligation to do anything...they are doing repairs during regular business hours and as long as they conclude by nighttime....not even a full day's worth is lost.

DO NOT do as BL suggested in case the DRAIN pipes are being worked on re: toilet.

There's no need to leave the premises...unless you wish to use "facilities" somewhere and then return....maybe a couple of short trips. As others said you could fill a bowl with water to rinse your hands. Why would you think you need to be gone all day?

BL

Aboslutely no obligation to do anything...they are doing repairs during regular business hours and as long as they conclude by nighttime....not even a full day's worth is lost.

DO NOT do as BL suggested in case the DRAIN pipes are being worked on re: toilet.
There's no need to leave the premises...unless you wish to use "facilities" somewhere and then return....maybe a couple of short trips. As others said you could fill a bowl with water to rinse your hands. Why would you think you need to be gone all day?
there will be no running water or drainage available at all, the repair work is to exterior plumbing lines.
No don't flush the toilet with water .

I missed it and only read replies about not having water , my apologies .

Someone would be a bit ticked off .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">