• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocating a radio station (FCC)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjv3131

What is the name of your state (Texas)?

I'm curious about something and hopefully someone can help me. If someone were to buy a working commercial radio station in New York can you relocate it to another state if the frequency is not taken on that other place? Of course I'm asking if FCC permits that?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

justalayman

part of the FCC licensing includes the location and equipment as well as the frequency. What, exactly are you looking to do? Do you simply want the call sign?

jjv3131

part of the FCC licensing includes the location and equipment as well as the frequency. What, exactly are you looking to do? Do you simply want the call sign?
No, for example: if you own a radio station and I were to buy it from you....equipment, license, permits.....all included....would the FCC allow relocation?...I know the FCC gives out the license with a certain address of where tansmitters and tower would be but is there an application to relocate tower to another state or city?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
If you can afford to purchase a radio station, you can afford to hire an attorney to ask these kinds of questions.

We don't do homework.

Last edited:

justalayman

I guess I'm just missing what you want.

since licenses and permits are specific to an area and a specific installation, there is simply no license or permit for you to buy in NY that would be applicable to Texas.

You can buy equipment and you can put it wherever such installations are allowed and you can apply to the FCC for a license for that location but I just don't see what else you are trying to do.

FlyingRon

Yes, as pointed out you can't MOVE radio stations.

Even if you were to just move it in one city you must make an application for the change. In your case, you'll need to start from scratch (or buy an existing station).

Applying for broadcast stations is not a trivial matter. You not only have to prepare the application with all the details on your financial ability to run the station and all the engineering and technical details that show your use of the frequency really is unused. The thing then goes up for public notice and you hope that there is nobody on that frequency (or an adjacent channel) isn't going to protest. Believe me, I've prepared petition to deny for others on my channel as well as fighting those protesting my power increase on my channel.

I had fortunately access to a good broadcast lawyer but since I was in Baltimore I could run down to DC and do a lot of the leg work myself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">