• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocating out of state/ custody paperwork needed first?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Katlinelaine

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I live in Georgia and this state is one of the most difficult when it comes to custody.
I just need help finding out what paperwork is required to be filed, so I'll be short and sweet.
I'm moving to Colorado. I share custody of my 8yo with my ex. I am the sole guardian. My ex is supportive of the move & plans to eventually join us.
Now, I think we can just submit a new parenting plan with an updated custody arrangement for the time my ex and I will be living in separate states. Along with a intent to relocate. I think. But I'm not entirely sure if any of it is necessary.
I want to cover my bases legally in the off chance my ex tries to do something like say I tried to move with our son without his permission after we leave. So I just need to know of any paperwork I need to file to keep this running smoothly.
If there's another way I can get this information that you know of please let me know. I have a few months before the move.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I live in Georgia and this state is one of the most difficult when it comes to custody.
I just need help finding out what paperwork is required to be filed, so I'll be short and sweet.
I'm moving to Colorado. I share custody of my 8yo with my ex. I am the sole guardian. My ex is supportive of the move & plans to eventually join us.
Now, I think we can just submit a new parenting plan with an updated custody arrangement for the time my ex and I will be living in separate states. Along with a intent to relocate. I think. But I'm not entirely sure if any of it is necessary.
I want to cover my bases legally in the off chance my ex tries to do something like say I tried to move with our son without his permission after we leave. So I just need to know of any paperwork I need to file to keep this running smoothly.
If there's another way I can get this information that you know of please let me know. I have a few months before the move.
You and your ex can file a joint, stipulated agreement with the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">