• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocating With Kids from a Previous Marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dandmesmile14

My husband and I are currently in Washington, and our exes are in Missouri and Ohio. The parenting plan for my children is currently in flux, but the one for his kids is:

Every other year, the children spend all of Christmas break (from the day after school gets out til the day before it starts) with their Mother. They spend every other Spring Break with her, and 6 weeks in the summer. She is welcome to visit them anytime she likes, in Washington. They split the cost of transportation, and have since she moved to Ohio from Leavenworth. That didn't change with the increase in cost because the children will be flying now.
Thank you so much for the helpful information! Out of curiosity are your children, who are flying, older children? Mine are 6 and 12, and I'm not so sure I feel comfortable with them flying without the supervision of someone they know and feel safe with (especially my 6 year old). What has been your experience. Also good to know that I don't forfeit all of their holidays since we will be living further away. I had no idea how that would work. Thanks again!

CJane

Thank you so much for the helpful information! Out of curiosity are your children, who are flying, older children? Mine are 6 and 12, and I'm not so sure I feel comfortable with them flying without the supervision of someone they know and feel safe with (especially my 6 year old). What has been your experience. Also good to know that I don't forfeit all of their holidays since we will be living further away. I had no idea how that would work. Thanks again!
Our kids are:

17 (mine), 14 (mine), 13 (his), 11 (his), 8 (his), 8 (mine), and 6 (his). His 4 flew out here from Ohio at the end of summer, and their grandmother flew with them. They will fly to Ohio next time on their own. My girls (17 and 14) will fly alone out to visit their father over Christmas. My son (8), has no visitation with his father.

TinkerBelleLuvr

My child has flown UM since she was 6. I love SWA. They so far have the lowest UM fees (something that needs to be addressed in your court order). She just flew her last flight as a minor last month.

Words of advice from a BTWTT:
1. address UM fees
2. address the acceptable times for flights both going and returning. My X thought that a child returning to an airport 1.5 hours from home at 12:15 AM on a school day was acceptable.
3. address how much notice is needed

LdiJ

Remember though that your 6 year old would be traveling with her 12 year old sibling. That honestly makes a big difference.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Mine flew UM at 5 & 7. There were no problems over the years. With a 6 yo accomanied by a 12yo sibling? Expect them to fly. You are always free to pay for someone to go with.

Dandmesmile14

Mine flew UM at 5 & 7. There were no problems over the years. With a 6 yo accomanied by a 12yo sibling? Expect them to fly. You are always free to pay for someone to go with.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to respond, and especially for the tips about what things I may want to consider as we I am proposing the new plan...You are right. I could fly with them until I feel comfortable enough to let them venture out on their own. Also, was this plan ordered by the courts or did you and your ex agree to the terms on your own?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Again, thank you all for taking the time to respond, and especially for the tips about what things I may want to consider as we I am proposing the new plan...You are right. I could fly with them until I feel comfortable enough to let them venture out on their own. Also, was this plan ordered by the courts or did you and your ex agree to the terms on your own?
It was complicated. Initial relocation (forced) was w/in driving distance. Other party's subsequent relocation made driving unrealistic, so flying was the option.

Honestly? Sending your kids UM doesn't mean you drop them at the curb and go. You (or your agent) accomanpy them to the gate, until they board. They are then met at the gate at arrival, by the other patrent (or their agewnt). IF a change of planes is required, the children will be supervised by airline personnel.

By the time my oldest was 12, I no longer accompanied them past security as SW allows them to fly like any other paasenger at 12. If they asked, I did. But.... They were indepencent enough to handle it on their own.

TinkerBelleLuvr

I walked my child to the bitter end because she wanted me there. Only US Airways made me stay back once since she was 16. I <3 SWA. They always treated me the best - and their 2 bag allowance was wonderful too.

Seriously, by having the 12 yo there, they should be fine. Mine always had a book and music and headphones. I did direct or non-stop flights with them.

And their change ticket policy is fabulous. Had to use that one a few times.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I walked my child to the bitter end because she wanted me there. Only US Airways made me stay back once since she was 16. I <3 SWA. They always treated me the best - and their 2 bag allowance was wonderful too.

Seriously, by having the 12 yo there, they should be fine. Mine always had a book and music and headphones. I did direct or non-stop flights with them.

And their change ticket policy is fabulous. Had to use that one a few times.
LOL I made them do homework.

I guess a lot would depend on how well the siblings get on. The six yo needs to understand that s/he has to pay attention to what the 12yo says. The 12yo needs to understnd that this does not give him/her permission to be a jerk. They need to work together.

Dandmesmile14

LOL I made them do homework.

I guess a lot would depend on how well the siblings get on. The six yo needs to understand that s/he has to pay attention to what the 12yo says. The 12yo needs to understnd that this does not give him/her permission to be a jerk. They need to work together.
Lol. You must know my 6 and 12 year old! lol...thanks again for all the information. Just being able to communicate with people who have already been there, done that is quite helpful!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">