• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation Benefit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chuckfems

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I was hired with a company that offered relocation benefits that included a lump sum payment to help with moving expenses. A week before I was supposed to start they terminated my employment. A week later I recieved the lump sum in my bank account. Now, three month later, they are asking for that lump sum amount to be repayed to them. What should I do? Any and all advice will be appreciated.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Did you have a written agreement of any kind? What did it say?

Did you, in fact, relocate?

JETX

Now, three month later, they are asking for that lump sum amount to be repayed to them. What should I do?
Gee.... didn't the thought of repaying them ever enter your little mind??
Why in the world would you think that you should somehow be able to keep the relocation money they paid you (in error)???
Repay them.... or be ready to be sued and a judgment (plus legal fees) against you.

chuckfems

Yes, the thought of repaying them did enter my mind. After 2 whole months I used the money to pay off some cc debt. No, I did not in fact relocate. I think you are right that I should just repay them, and am ready to. The thing is I was hired, and the agreement I signed said if I voluntarily terminated employment in the first 12 months, which I did not.

Thank you for your help. I do, indeed, appreciate your advice.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The money was paid to you to compensate you for moving expenses. You did not move. You did not at any time work for them; you have no legal expectation of any compensation from them, period.

The ONLY legal, moral or ethical thing to do is repay them. I cannot imagine how you can twist the circumstances into any other answer.

Any other response on your part can easily be construed as theft. Even if they choose not to look at it that way, they can sue you for it, and they WILL win.

JETX

Now, three month later, they are asking for that lump sum amount to be repayed to them. What should I do?
Another thing I like to do with these type question ("What should I do?") is to reverse the roles.

Lets say that YOU are the employer and you paid a sum of money to me so that I could relocate to your city to work for you. For whatever reason (you or me), the bottom line is I don't relocate. Is it reasonable for YOU to expect that relocation money back??
And what legal right would you have to try to get it back??? Court??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">