• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kimff01

What is the name of your state? TX
Here is the contract in its entirety:
########################################
Re: Relocation to Houston , Texas

Dear Joe,

In connection with the recent restructuring of XYZ Company (the "Company), you have agreed to relocate from California to the Company's service center in Houston, Texas insufficient time from October 1, 2007 to enable you to work in Houston no later than October 15, 2007.
To facilitate your relocation and help defray the costs associated therewith, The Company is prepared to provide you with a relocation allowance of $10,000 payable in a lum sum upon your counter-execution and delivery of this letter agreement to the attention of human resources department of the Company.
The above-referenced relocation allowance is being furnished in anticipation of your work-related relocation to the Company's offices in Houston. Should you fail to complete the relocation or report to work at XYZ Company on or before October 15, 2007, you will be required upon demand to refund the full amount of the relocation allowance to the company.
Please signify your acceptance of and agreement to the foregoing by signing in the space provided below for this purpose.
###################################

I went to Texas by myself and reported to work in Houston as scheduled and have been working ever since for XYZ. Now that there are major cut in benefits and I know of a few better places to go, I want to know if there is any thing in the contract above that would require me to pay back the relocation allowance.

Thanks

Kim

Last edited:

ecmst12

Is company XZY, ZYX, and XYZ all the same company???

The contract doesn't say anything about having to work there for any specific length of time after the relocation though.

Kimff01

Is company XZY, ZYX, and XYZ all the same company???

The contract doesn't say anything about having to work there for any specific length of time after the relocation though.
Same company, my spelling error:)
No the contract did not say any thing regarding the time that I would have to stay with the company. There are only two conditions "Should you fail to complete the relocation or report to work at XYZ Company on or before October 15, 2007". I met the reporting to work condition. But because I'm only here by myself (my family did not move with me) I'm not sure if I met the other condition which is completing the relocation. I've established an address / phone number here in Texas, changed my driver / car license to Texas already. Is there any thing else that I should do to be legally considered as "complete relocation"?

Thanks

Kim

ecmst12

I think that's a question you're better off asking a TX contract lawyer. He'd know what a judge would be most likely to say, which is what matters. I'd think with $10k being at stake, $100 or so for a professional consultation would be worth it!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">