• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation Expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hobo72

I worked for an Insurance company for 5 months. During that time they relocated me to NH. I was unsuccessful selling my house in RI, and they covered my rental costs in NH for 3 months...after that I was on my own. After depleting my savings account I left the company. I just received a letter stating that my relocation expenses were $5700. They are looking to collect $1800 from me for taxes on that $5700 that they withheld in anticipation of that tax money being "excludable". Am I responsible for repayment of monies that they withheld into tax withholding accounts? I never saw that $1800, and I never recall signing anything stating repayment would be necessary if I left the company early....In fact I'm 100% positive there was nothing to that effect, certainly no contract. Just wondering what my options are, and if it's worth the fight. Also, I don't have the $ anyhow. It's been 11 months since I terminated my employment with them.

pattytx

What have you received so far? Just a letter from the company? Without an agreement requiring repayment of the relocation costs, the employer would be hard-pressed to prevail in a civil lawsuit. Unless/until such a suit is filed, I wouldn't worry about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">