• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation Fee Payback

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bfb45

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Last year my compnay decided to move my department to a location 3 hours away and offered a relocation package.

At first I was not going to take it and just leave my job but my management begged me to "give it a shot" so I decided to try it.

HR wanted me to sign a one year contract for the relocation but I told them i would not and my management agreed it was not fair since I had no choice if i wanted to keep my job. So I decided not to sign the agreement.

After approx 6 month my team was disbanded and I was placed in a role well below my skillsets, so I decided to find another job. Acouple months later I put in my resignation letter and left the company. That was about 3 months ago and then last friday I had a certified letter in the mail sueing me for 50K saying that I signed the contract.

I have hired a lawyer to deal with this, but I wanted some opinions from anyone else that has seen this and knows how to deal with it.

Thanks

Beth3

So you never signed a contract or agreement saying you would pay back relocation costs if you left? If not, then I don't see how this suit has any legs.

$50,000? Wow - that was one expensive relocation.

panzertanker

bfb45 said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

Last year my compnay decided to move my department to a location 3 hours away and offered a relocation package.

At first I was not going to take it and just leave my job but my management begged me to "give it a shot" so I decided to try it.

HR wanted me to sign a one year contract for the relocation but I told them i would not and my management agreed it was not fair since I had no choice if i wanted to keep my job. So I decided not to sign the agreement.

After approx 6 month my team was disbanded and I was placed in a role well below my skillsets, so I decided to find another job. Acouple months later I put in my resignation letter and left the company. That was about 3 months ago and then last friday I had a certified letter in the mail sueing me for 50K saying that I signed the contract.

I have hired a lawyer to deal with this, but I wanted some opinions from anyone else that has seen this and knows how to deal with it.

Thanks
From what you posted, there is nothing to deal with. You state you did not sign the relocation bonus contract. They say you did. If you did not, then you are home free, as they cannot produce anything resembling a contract with your name and signature on it. If you DID sign one.... different story....

bfb45

panzertanker said:
From what you posted, there is nothing to deal with. You state you did not sign the relocation bonus contract. They say you did. If you did not, then you are home free, as they cannot produce anything resembling a contract with your name and signature on it. If you DID sign one.... different story....
I did not sign the contract...in fact I still have it in my possesion but I think they are trying to say it was understood.... which is cr@p since I personally talked to my director and the director of HR before moving and told them I was not going to sign it.

The only thing i worry about is that they will find a way around it.

This is a huge (fortune 100) company you would think they would not want me upset since I know the interworking/trash of the company

panzertanker

bfb45 said:
I did not sign the contract...in fact I still have it in my possesion but I think they are trying to say it was understood.... which is cr@p since I personally talked to my director and the director of HR before moving and told them I was not going to sign it.

The only thing i worry about is that they will find a way around it.

This is a huge (fortune 100) company you would think they would not want me upset since I know the interworking/trash of the company
Beth will know, but I am pretty sure an "understanding" won't cut it in the contract repayment lawsuit....

I think you will be OK based on your post. Let us know!

Beth3

in fact I still have it in my possesion but I think they are trying to say it was understood So they are going to claim that while the contract went unsigned, you agreed to it in spirit? I wish them good luck with that one. It'll make a judge's day. :rolleyes: But listen - this thing isn't going to get anywhere near a courtroom.

I think what they're doing is to try to strong-arm you into paying back part or all of the actual relo cost in order to avoid the hassle and expense of hiring an attorney. ("Gosh, they're suing for $50,000. Maybe I should just pay the $6,000 the move actually cost..."

The only thing i worry about is that they will find a way around it. That's what they want you to worry about.

This is a huge (fortune 100) company you would think they would not want me upset since I know the interworking/trash of the company And so do thousands of other previous and current employees. Unless they're doing something illegal, then they don't care about what you know.

Talk to your attorney. He or she is in the best position to reassure you as to the merits (or lack thereof) of this suit. If it's as frivilous as it sounds, then when your attorney files a motion for summary judgement, he ought to ask the court about ordering the employer to pay your legal fees. (I don't know whether that will happen but it's sure worth bringing up.)

bfb45

They are not willing to give me any type of breakdown of the cost. I know 10K was for liquid damages. And they paid the commision on selling my house about 17 grand.

No one will tell me what the actual cost to move was... I only moved 3 hours away.

I dont know if this is normal practice to try to scare someone or hope they dont respond within 21 days and then get a default judgement?

Either way it is really stressing me out I have two young boys and another on the way and i cant afford to give them 50K or even 5K to pay my attorney

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">