• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

relocation money.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bassgoonist

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Currently living in Missouri
So I worked for a large company headquartered in a different state than which I was in employed.
I accepted employment and signed a relocation contract. The relocation contract stipulated would owe the money back if I voluntarily quit within one year of starting. They fired me after 2 weeks and now they're saying they'll still reimburse me for moving expenses, but won't give me the lump sum they agreed to give me. This lump sum was stated in both an email and my offer of employment. They say it's "company policy" that they can't give the money to non-employees.
Do I have any grounds for anything in the state other than which I was employed if they have a large operation or their headquarters there?

pattytx

What state did you actually work in for this employer?

Take the "contract" (not all agreements are contracts) to a local attorney for a first review of whether this is actually a contractual obligation. I find it hard to believe that an employer would be dumb enough to guarantee a lump sum payment related to relocation expenses after they've fired someone after only 2 weeks. But I've seen dumb employers before.

The devil is in the details of the agreement.

bassgoonist

Well I was employed in IL but I faxed the contract to an office in AR.
I was assuming getting it reviewed was a good idea. It's a really short contract though and it says the money is for accepting the position.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">