• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation out of state and visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1MOdad

Current state is Missouri. Ok so here is the situation, currently my former spouse and I share 50/50 custody and she is choosing to relocate from KC, Missouri to Boise, ID. She is leaving our daughter with me and has agreed to allow me to be custodial parent. I will have our daughter through the school year with her having visitation over the summer. Here is my concern....she has chosen to rent a studio apartment in downtown Boise (not due to budgetary restrictions). I'm worried about my daughter having her own space and the potential for being exposed to over night visitors. I completely support visitation and want her to spend time with her mom but I'm wondering if I could require her to have her own room? Having her own room at my house was a stipulation of her mother giving me custody. Any insight is appreciated.

Just Blue

Current state is Missouri. Ok so here is the situation, currently my former spouse and I share 50/50 custody and she is choosing to relocate from KC, Missouri to Boise, ID. She is leaving our daughter with me and has agreed to allow me to be custodial parent. I will have our daughter through the school year with her having visitation over the summer. Here is my concern....she has chosen to rent a studio apartment in downtown Boise (not due to budgetary restrictions). I'm worried about my daughter having her own space and the potential for being exposed to over night visitors. I completely support visitation and want her to spend time with her mom but I'm wondering if I could require her to have her own room? Having her own room at my house was a stipulation of her mother giving me custody. Any insight is appreciated.
To clarify...what do you mean by "overnight visitors"?

How old is the child?

PayrollHRGuy

Not without coming to an agreement with the mother or heading back to court to argue it out which could open a whole other can of worms. As far as the "overnight guests" are concerned do you have some reason to believe that your ex would be so blatantly inappropriate as to have partners sleep over in the same one-room apartment as your child?

1MOdad

Do you think Mom is going to be knocking knees with one night stands with your DD in the same room? Really?
I would not be concerned about it if it hadn't happened while here, but my daughter had her own room here. She has a history of being promiscuous.

Just Blue

I would not be concerned about it if it hadn't happened while here, but my daughter had her own room here. She has a history of being promiscuous.
Do you really think she is going to have sex with your DD in the same room?

1MOdad

Not without coming to an agreement with the mother or heading back to court to argue it out which could open a whole other can of worms. As far as the "overnight guests" are concerned do you have some reason to believe that your ex would be so blatantly inappropriate as to have partners sleep over in the same one-room apartment as your child?
Yes I do, she had three guys stay the night while my daughter was at her house in MO and had a major party.

1MOdad

What makes you think Mom would do this? (btw, yes, I would ask the same w/genders reversed...)
She has had men stay with her several times while my daughter was home, sometimes multiple guys and large drinking parties. My daughter had her own room and even then I wasn't comfortable with it.

Just Blue

Yes I do, she had three guys stay the night while my daughter was at her house in MO and had a major party.
While not something I would necessarily do...having 3 guests that were drunk spend the night rather than potentially drink and drive is not legally an issue. It doesn't mean she was having a "gang bang" either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">