• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation Payback agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrgrossjr

About 9 months ago I was relocated by my current company. When I made this move I had to sign a repayment agreement before the company would continue with my move. The repayment agreement stated if I was terminated for wrong doings or self-terminated my employment I would be liable for a portion of the relocation benefits I received. The agreement states:

< 9 months service - 100% payback
9 - 18 months service - 75% payback
18 - 24 months service - 50% payback

Is it 1) legal to enforce a repayment agreement and 2) Can the company come after me legally for this repayment agreement 3) Is the payment back agreement % fair (legal)?

I was relocated from Tampa, FL to Baltimore, MD in which I settled in Newark, DE. The company is located in Iowa.

C

CheeseBlotto

Yes, yes, and yes.

That said, the devil is in the details. Whether the exact wording would hold up legally is something that can only be determined by showing it to a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">