• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation payback tax implications

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

txtom

Texas:

I was relocated by my company from FL to TX and I left within the 2 year payback period so I now have paid back a prorated portion of the total amount (~20%)

My question is: does this payback come with any income tax relief for me? Since they paid for moving costs, closing costs, and loan points on my new house, commissions, etc (and grossed them up) I didnt claim anything last year.

Since I'm paying a portion of that back, can I claim that I had moving expenses, paid points on a 2004 amended return? Or is it something I can claim this year as some deduction?

thanks!

HomeGuru

txtom said:
Texas:

I was relocated by my company from FL to TX and I left within the 2 year payback period so I now have paid back a prorated portion of the total amount (~20%)

My question is: does this payback come with any income tax relief for me? Since they paid for moving costs, closing costs, and loan points on my new house, commissions, etc (and grossed them up) I didnt claim anything last year.

Since I'm paying a portion of that back, can I claim that I had moving expenses, paid points on a 2004 amended return? Or is it something I can claim this year as some deduction?

thanks!
*A: the last time I checked, this was not the Tax Law forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">