• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation Payback

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Greatxpectation

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

Hi,

I just gave my notice to my employer. Since giving my notice they have increased the amount that I have to pay significantly. To the point that they are charging for my interview flight and hotel stay. I want to know how best to counter some of the seemingly suspicious charges, and I want to know if it is typical for an employee to repay taxes, exc. HELP!

TinkerBelleLuvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

Hi,

I just gave my notice to my employer. Since giving my notice they have increased the amount that I have to pay significantly. To the point that they are charging for my interview flight and hotel stay. I want to know how best to counter some of the seemingly suspicious charges, and I want to know if it is typical for an employee to repay taxes, exc. HELP!
What did it say in your contract or employment letter?

Greatxpectation

"I agree that I will repay the expenses incurred by the company in connection with my relocation as well as any lump sum or any other payments I receive if I decide to leave the company within 12 months."

swalsh411

So why do you believe you should not be held to the offer letter that you signed?

Did the offer letter say it could be withheld from your check? If not, and you do not give permission now, they cannot legally deduct it from your check and would have to sue you if you refuse to pay.

Greatxpectation

I definitely don't mind paying. I fully intend to pay them back, but I'm questioning some relocation expenses such as my interview flight and a $1600 referral fee for the department to hire someone new. Also my accountant indicated that if I return they post tax $ I do not need to pay taxes in addition to their fees. So it appears that the are going beyond what is traditionally deemed as relocation.. Your thoughts?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
My thoughts are that the time to establish what would be included was back when you signed it.

Greatxpectation

I agree.. Lesson learned (the hard way). This was my first relocation with a relocation company, and the first time I've ever deemed it necessary to leave after such a short period of time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">