• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

poppabear

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

For those who don't know my history, my ex and I have a 3 yr old daughter, I am the CP and her mom has 8 hours of supervised visitation a month. I have recently been offered a promotion in my company, but it would mean moving about 85 miles from the town my ex and I live in now. Our parenting plan simply states that if moving more than 60 miles further distant from the other parent that 60 days notice must be given to the other parent and proof of notification must be submitted to the court. It would still be possible for me to provide my daughter to her mother according to our court order, so there would be no need to revise our parenting plan.

My question is how long would my ex have to contest the move? Would she have to do it within the 60 days? I am not sure if she will contest or not, I am just trying to figure out what time frame she has for contesting. Also, at this time she still has supervised visitation, so I am not sure what could even be done if she does object, since her parenting time will not be affected.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

For those who don't know my history, my ex and I have a 3 yr old daughter, I am the CP and her mom has 8 hours of supervised visitation a month. I have recently been offered a promotion in my company, but it would mean moving about 85 miles from the town my ex and I live in now. Our parenting plan simply states that if moving more than 60 miles further distant from the other parent that 60 days notice must be given to the other parent and proof of notification must be submitted to the court. It would still be possible for me to provide my daughter to her mother according to our court order, so there would be no need to revise our parenting plan.

My question is how long would my ex have to contest the move? Would she have to do it within the 60 days? I am not sure if she will contest or not, I am just trying to figure out what time frame she has for contesting. Also, at this time she still has supervised visitation, so I am not sure what could even be done if she does object, since her parenting time will not be affected.
She would absolutely have to at least contest it during the 60 days. She may only have a 30 day window to contest it.

If her parenting time would not be effected, and you can easily provide the child to her for the supervised visitation, you really don't have anything to worry about. The only way the court could justify blocking your move is if the judge would be willing to give custody to mom. Since clearly the judge couldn't justify giving custody to mom, the judge isn't going to block your move.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">