• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation Repayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wcs001

Hi, I am located in Arkansas. My husband accepted a job with a company here about 19 months ago. The company moved us from Texas to Arkansas. The relocation package stated that if he voluntarily left the company within 24 months we would have to pay back a pro-rated portion of the benefits. The company has since undergone a merger with another company, creating a completely new corporation. My husband has recently accepted a job that will move us back to Texas, and has found out at his exit interview that we will have to pay back a portion of the relocation benefits. Another co-worker in the same situation left the company a couple of months ago and didn't have to pay back any of his relocation. We have been advised by a friend familiar with employment law that we may not have to pay anything back because the company set a precedent when they did not pursue repayment from the other employee. Any idea if this is true or if the merger may have voided the contract?What is the name of your state?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your friend is painting with very broad strokes in watercolors when the situation calls for line drawings with pen and ink. While the employer MAY have set a binding precedent it is actually rather unlikely and depends on the exact wording of the contract and what, if any, contract the other employee had. For all you know, the other employee had a completely different contract.

Your husband will have to show the appropriate documentation to an attorney in your state.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">