• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

removal of collection item from credit reports

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lsmaynard

What is the name of your state? Arizona

After receiving what I felt was an incorrect cell phone bill I refused to pay and allowed the bill to be forwarded to a collection agency. I contacted the collection agency and we settled the debt for 70% of its original value. The check used to settle the debt included the statement on the back "endorsement of this item indicates creditor and/or agent agrees to remove this item from my credit report". Of course the check was cashed & the creditor updated my credit report to show the debt as settled. Previously the collection agency verbally advised me they would update the credit report as settled. My question is will the written agreement be enough to pursue legal action if the creditor doesn't comply? Also, will legal action against the creditor force them to remove the item from my credit report? I do understand it is the law for the collection company to report "accurately"; however, I've seen items be removed from reports which were also accurate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">