• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

remove name from title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ojohnny65

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ca
my ex wants me to give her some $$ and she would then agree to have her name removed from title. house is recorded with recorders office as joint owners. what form is required to have her name removed? quick claim deed?

FlyingRon

Getting her off the title won't get her off the mortgage, but I don't suppose it is your job to inform her of that.

You don't get her off the title, she does it. She does this by preparing some sort of deed and deeding her interest to you. Such deeds can be found in the LEGAL FORMS section of this web site and divorce lawyers typically perform this as part of their job as well. It might be in your best interest to have YOUR lawyer draft the deed to make sure your resulting title is in the best shape.

The term by the way is "QUIT CLAIM". That would be one avenue, but not in YOUR best interest. I'd prefer some sort of general or special warranty deed.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ca
my ex wants me to give her some $$ and she would then agree to have her name removed from title. house is recorded with recorders office as joint owners. what form is required to have her name removed? quick claim deed?
**A: the instrument would be a deed.

HomeGuru

Getting her off the title won't get her off the mortgage, but I don't suppose it is your job to inform her of that.

You don't get her off the title, she does it. She does this by preparing some sort of deed and deeding her interest to you. Such deeds can be found in the LEGAL FORMS section of this web site and divorce lawyers typically perform this as part of their job as well. It might be in your best interest to have YOUR lawyer draft the deed to make sure you r resulting title is in the best shape.

The term by the way is "QUIT CLAIM". That would be one avenue, but not in YOUR best interest. I'd prefer some sort of general or special warranty deed.

**A: in this case, a quit claim deed would be better than a warranty deed.

FlyingRon

I disagree. They are no longer married. I would want at least a special warranty deed that she hasn't done anything to cloud the title in the interim time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">