• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

removing a representative

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



From Michigan......When my father passed away last year, he left my half brother as executor. He was unable to handle the responsibility, and, with the consent of all beneficaries, we had my older brother become administrator. Since that time, my older brother has not been honest with the dealings of the estate. He is cashing checks with dads name on them, and refuses to keep in contact with the rest of us on his dealings, several of which are questionalble. My question is, how do we go about removing him from this posistion and getting someone else in to do the work. (like selling properties, and paying creditors).



JUNE 7, 2001


Did this "older brother" receive official papers from the courthouse that authorize him to serve as personal administrator, or was this just an informal decision that was done?

You should file a petition with the probate court (an attorney can tell you how to do this) to have the older brother replaced with someone else, and it might be wiser to have a probate attorney serve in this capacity.


[email protected]


Thank you for your reply.
Yes, we all signed a paper naming him administrator, which was required before he could do anything with the estate.
Does the same advice still apply? Everything is such a mess. It's been over a yearand we just want to get everything settled.
Thank you again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential