• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Removing a Tenant from the rental property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lmar

What is the name of your state?

My rental is in Ohio, I live in TN

I have tried working with the renters but they have been late every month and moved to dogs into the house, we have a pet deposit that must be paid but they won't pay it and won't remove the dogs.
I have mailed invoices stating that they are late and included the late fee and they actually get upset because there is a late fee.

All this was covered in the lease agreement.

At this time we have served them 3 days, 10 days, and 30 day eviction notices (well my sister is handling it for me). The 10 day the lady tore up and told my sister she was never served.
They have until 11/30 to get out.

Am I following the order that I should, have I missed anything and
if court is the next step can my sister go in my place. I've never dealt with a rental before and I just don't know.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

HomeGuru

lmar said:
What is the name of your state?

My rental is in Ohio, I live in TN

I have tried working with the renters but they have been late every month and moved to dogs into the house, we have a pet deposit that must be paid but they won't pay it and won't remove the dogs.
I have mailed invoices stating that they are late and included the late fee and they actually get upset because there is a late fee.

All this was covered in the lease agreement.

At this time we have served them 3 days, 10 days, and 30 day eviction notices (well my sister is handling it for me). The 10 day the lady tore up and told my sister she was never served.
They have until 11/30 to get out.

Am I following the order that I should, have I missed anything and
if court is the next step can my sister go in my place. I've never dealt with a rental before and I just don't know.

Any help would be appreciated!!!
**A: hire a real estate attorney in Ohio to file eviction the correct way.

lmar

What is the correct way?

We contacted the police and they said to make sure we served them the 3 eviction notices.

As far as the real estate attorney, I've never heard of it.

Are you saying this is something that can't be handled in small claims court?

HomeGuru

lmar said:
What is the correct way?

**A: read the Ohio L/T law.

We contacted the police and they said to make sure we served them the 3 eviction notices.

**A: since when are the police involved in providing consultation in L/T civil disputes/actions?
As far as the real estate attorney, I've never heard of it.

**A: it is not an it, but a person.

Are you saying this is something that can't be handled in small claims court?

**A: if is evident that this matter can not be handled by either you or your Sister, hence my advice to hire an attorney.

Last edited:

lmar

I guess I was expecting more answers/advice here and I didn't expect the rudeness.

Not everyone can afford the use of a attorney as well the lack of the money when rent isn't being paid.

Since the police are suppose to have some understanding of the law I assumed they also could advise us on the situation.

If I had read the Ohio L/T law and completely understood it I wouldn't need advice/answers from anyone.

Sorry for taking up your time, I thought through reading other advise that had been given here I could get more help/answers, my mistake.

HomeGuru

lmar said:
I guess I was expecting more answers/advice here and I didn't expect the rudeness.

**A: there was nothing rude about my responses.

Not everyone can afford the use of a attorney as well the lack of the money when rent isn't being paid.

**A: did you even bother then to consult with one for free? In your area, there are real estate attorneys that give free 30 minute consultations. And since you may not have the money to hire an attorney, the least you could have done was to read the law and educate yourself for free. Ohio state even has an office you could call to get free L/T advice to help you.

Since the police are suppose to have some understanding of the law I assumed they also could advise us on the situation.

**A: they can only give you general advice such as "your issue involves a civil matter in which the police are not involve in". The police can not give you legal consulation in general or represent you in lieu of your own personal attorney. And the statements that you made with respect to what the police told you does not make any sense. The Ohio L/T law does not require 3 eviction notices to be served upon the tenant in order for such eviction notice to be legal and enforeceable.
If I had read the Ohio L/T law and completely understood it I wouldn't need advice/answers from anyone.

**A: I don't believe this to be true for one minute. There are many people that have read the law and still posted specifc questions pertaining to the law. If you had read the law and posted specifc questions, we would be happy to help.
Being a landlord is serious business and therefore you should educate yourself as a business and real estate owner. There are many books available on the subject as well as abundant information online.

Sorry for taking up your time, I thought through reading other advise that had been given here I could get more help/answers, my mistake.

**A: you are learning, so commend yourself for that.

Bigfoot

Your tenants, you and I have something in common: we all know that you are not in a hurry to evict the tenants. You are satisfied with getting late payments, as opposed to putting yourself in a position to remove the tenants, replace the carpet and re-advertise the property, because, it may be MONTHS before you secure another tenant.

So guess who has the upper hand by you being an absentee landlord?

T

tmwdeg

Expenses come with owning property. Compared to the damage a disgruntled tenant can do to a propery or the amount of time you can waste going in legal circles, the cost of legal help is affordable.

I see eviction attorneys advertise all the time in the local apartment association magazine for $100 evictions (you pay filing fees). Look on the internet for the name of the apartment association nearest your rental, (something like Cinncinnati Apartment Owners Association or Columbus Apartment Association - try different combinations of key words), and ask for a copy of their magazine or newsletter to be sent to you. Inside you will find lots of ads from eviction attorneys.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">