• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Removing child support obligation after child is legally adopted...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tiribulus

I am asking for a female friend who lost custody of her child and was at the time paying 25% of her total social security income to the couple who have since legally adopted the child. How she, and not the father came to this obligation is beyond the scope of this dialog please.

The fact is she loves her son,. but the adopting couple are well off and have no need for what is to her, as a mentally disabled person, a crippling amount of money. Is there a way, and if so what are the first steps for her being legally relieved of this obligation?

This would be in Pontiac Michigan. 48340
Thank you so much for any help as this is a confusing situation to navigate.

Last edited:

Just Blue

I am asking for a female friend who lost custody of her child and was at the time paying 25% of her total social security income to the couple who have since legally adopted the child. How she, and not the father came to this obligation is beyond the scope of this dialog please.

The fact is she loves her son,. but the adopting couple are well off and have no need for what is to her, as a mentally disabled person, a crippling amount of money. Is there a way, and if so what are the first steps for her being legally relieved of this obligation?

Thank you so much for any help as this a confusing situation to navigate.
This should have been done at the time of the adoption. Is she in arrears? Did your friend have an attorney to protect her rights? How was this adoption done? CPS? Privately? Through an adoption agency? When was the adoption?

Tiribulus

Thank you very much for your attention.
Did your friend have an attorney to protect her rights?
She did and I'm not sure why this wasn't handled then.

How was this adoption done?
As far as I know it was done through a private agency.

When was the adoption?
July 31st 2019

I should add that she doesn't have a computer and is not very computer literate which is why I am the one asking for this advice.

Just Blue

Thank you very much for your attention.

She did and I'm not sure why this wasn't handled then.

As far as I know it was done through a private agency.

July 31st 2019

I should add that she doesn't have a computer and is not very computer literate which is why I am the one asking for this advice.
Is she in arrears?

This should have been done at the time of the adoption. Is she in arrears? Did your friend have an attorney to protect her rights? How was this adoption done? CPS? Privately? Through an adoption agency? When was the adoption?

commentator

She's on Social Security Disability and the child is receiving Social Security payments based on her disability, right? It is being deducted from her Social security before she gets it? Would it increase her check if this were not being paid to the child? There are people on the boards who will know exactly how this is supposed to work.

LdiJ

Thank you so much for any help as this is a confusing situation to navigate.
Yes, she would have to file to terminate child support based on the fact that the child has been adopted. She can do so through the child support enforcement agency.

However, if you are talking about the children's benefits, no longer being obligated to pay child support would not put that money back in her pocket. It would only reduce anything that is coming out of her own benefit.

Just Blue

She's on Social Security Disability and the child is receiving Social Security payments based on her disability, right? It is being deducted from her Social security before she gets it? Would it increase her check if this were not being paid to the child? There are people on the boards who will know exactly how this is supposed to work.
Good point...I assumed she was getting SSI not SSDI.

Tiribulus

Oh boy. I got behind Sorry. Very busy.

Real quick for now from what I know.

The money does not come out of her social security payments. She has to take it to an office and pay it herself. I think it's SSI. I'll find out for sure.

She's only looking to be relieved from payments going forward.

Just Blue

Oh boy. I got behind Sorry. Very busy.

Real quick for now from what I know.

The money does not come out of her social security payments. She has to take it to an office and pay it herself. I think it's SSI. I'll find out for sure.

She's only looking to be relieved from payments going forward.
Ask her if she gets SSI or SSDI....that info is important.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">