• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Removing common law husband from apartment and he is not on lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sylvia68

Texas - I am common law married and we both live in an apartment. I am the only one on the lease. He does not work, doesn't want to work after asking him to help with the bills. We constantly fight and it is not good for my son. How do I get him to leave the apartment if he does not want to leave?

Sylvia68

You can ask for sole use of the marital home during your divorce proceedings.
What if I need him gone quickly? Divorce proceedings take a long time. I do not feel comfortable with him there. He picks a fight with me in the morning and then tells me to find a ride to work.

PayrollHRGuy

What if I need him gone quickly? Divorce proceedings take a long time. I do not feel comfortable with him there. He picks a fight with me in the morning and then tells me to find a ride to work.
It is the marital home. Unless these fights are physical and you get him arrested and thrown in jail there really isn't a way to get him out.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So.... how will you get to work when he's gone?

Sylvia68

I guess I don't see how his moving out changes that situation. If you are afraid of him, perhaps the same family could help you out temporarily with a place to stay?
The apartment is under my name. I pay the bills. I feel he should leave. Why should I get evicted if I stop paying rent just to get him out. It will ruin my credit.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The apartment is under my name. I pay the bills. I feel he should leave. Why should I get evicted if I stop paying rent just to get him out. It will ruin my credit.
Yet this is what you chose. You need to evict him legally.

Sylvia68

adjusterjack

We file taxes together as husband and wife AND we have signed a declaration of marriage for the state in order for him to receive a Gold Card to help with medical problems
Then you are not common law married. You are MARRIED. Period. And you'll have to file for divorce to get him out. In your petition you can seek possession of the home and if the court awards it he will have to leave or, eventually, put out by order of the court.

You really need to see a lawyer without delay.

LdiJ

Then you are not common law married. You are MARRIED. Period. And you'll have to file for divorce to get him out. In your petition you can seek possession of the home and if the court awards it he will have to leave or, eventually, put out by order of the court.

You really need to see a lawyer without delay.
I believe that TX calls it an informal marriage. I agree that they need to get divorced, but its not the same as a formal marriage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">