• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Removing myself from a car title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hello, my boyfriend and I are breaking up, but we own a car together. The title says "and/or" so I know that if we owned it out right I could remove my name from the title without permission from him and without issue (atleast according to google).

My question is, since we are still making payments on the car to the bank, how does that work? Will I still be able to remove myself from the car? I do not want our names tied to the car because I know he will mess up my credit even if I give him the car in a verbal agreement.

LdiJ

Hello, my boyfriend and I are breaking up, but we own a car together. The title says "and/or" so I know that if we owned it out right I could remove my name from the title without permission from him and without issue (atleast according to google).

My question is, since we are still making payments on the car to the bank, how does that work? Will I still be able to remove myself from the car? I do not want our names tied to the car because I know he will mess up my credit even if I give him the car in a verbal agreement.
The title is not your problem. The car loan is your problem. If you are both on the loan, then you would have to convince the lender to take you off. Odds are the lender will NOT do that. He might be able to refinance the car in just his own name, with another lender, but if he credit is not good, that probably cannot happen. If your credit is good, then perhaps you should refinance the car into just YOUR name, and keep the car yourself.

justalayman

And I suggest not removing your name from the title until the loan is paid off or in conjunction with it being paid off. If you are removed from the title you lose any rights of possession yet you remain liable for the loan.

As suggested previously maybe consider converting title to your name only while refinancing the loan into your name only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">