• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renovations I DIDN'T WANT!Have been displaced for 3 weeks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaylawitch

What is the name of your state?California
I am at the end of my rope.My landlord up and decided that he wanted to put in new windows,new floors,new in wall air unit into my house and I've been displaced for three weeks.I didn't want this work done..it didn't NEED to be done for safety or code reasons.I am disabled.I had to pack up and move with my cats to a friend's apartment.The landlord kept saying "you can move back in five days"......then it was "oh they'll be done in two days"...then last week "you can move back tomorrow".When I did the work was not finished.My house and furniture were filthy,I had to clean it up,and then I'm told.."well they'll be back Wednesday to finish and replace the scratched part of the floor".Well,they didn't show up until yesterday and were supposed to done.I return home today the living room is ripped up again and the house is covered in dust and debris.
My question is do I have to pay a full month's rent as I haven't been there and couldn't?
And shouldn't the landlord have to bring in a cleaning crew to reclean the house I cleaned last weekend(and I'm disabled)because the work was supposed to be done?
My life has been totally upheaved from this.
HELP!!!! :mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">