• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rent back from new owner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

slickvic

Guest
What is the name of your state? Maryland when i sold my home i needed time to purchase another home so i rented back my home from the new owner for a period of 30 days. during that 30 day period the air conditioning broke. am i responsible to have it fixed. It was working the day before i vacated the property. Now the owner wants a new air conditioner installed because this one is shot. Please heip!
 


HomeGuru

Senior Member
slickvic said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland when i sold my home i needed time to purchase another home so i rented back my home from the new owner for a period of 30 days. during that 30 day period the air conditioning broke. am i responsible to have it fixed. It was working the day before i vacated the property. Now the owner wants a new air conditioner installed because this one is shot. Please heip!
**A: No you are not because you were a tenant and had no owner interest in the property. You may want to negotiate since the Buyer will claim that you sold him a bad appliance and did not tell him the ac was shot.
 
S

slickvic

Guest
Hey Buddy. I'm back! My real estate agent informed me that the new owner is talking to a lawyer about the ac and i will probably lose my case if it goes to court. My agent is trying to stay out of it if he can. So what do you think my chances are if this thing goes to court. you know i value your opinion(smile)
 

HomeGuru

Senior Member
Did the Buyer check the ac prior to closing/ Was there a home inspection? Did the home inspector check the ac?
Did you disclose anything about the ac? How old was the ac? Did you have any problems, repairs etc. to the ac while you owned the property? Was this an "as-is" sale. Did the Buyer purchase a home warranty?
 
S

slickvic

Guest
Question # 1 yes there was an home inspection / no the inspector did not check the ac/ Question 2 no i did not disclose anything about the ac Question 3 the ac was approx. 10 years old Question 4 yes i had the unit recharged after settlement then i began to have problems with the unit. question5 as far as i know this was an as is sale / no the buyer waived the home warranty . Once again thank U so much!
 

HomeGuru

Senior Member
slickvic said:
Question # 1 yes there was an home inspection / no the inspector did not check the ac/ Question 2 no i did not disclose anything about the ac Question 3 the ac was approx. 10 years old Question 4 yes i had the unit recharged after settlement then i began to have problems with the unit. question5 as far as i know this was an as is sale / no the buyer waived the home warranty . Once again thank U so much!
**A: in my opinion, you have a good case but negotiate something. Because even if you win, you lose since your time and attorney fees would end up being more than the cost of a replacement ac unit.
 
S

slickvic

Guest
rentback from new owner

Good answer! now do U have any suggestions on the neogation part. Split the cost of a new ac unit perhaps? Once again Thanks so much for your time! By the way how did U become so knowlegable in this area
 

HomeGuru

Senior Member
Re: rentback from new owner

slickvic said:
Good answer! now do U have any suggestions on the neogation part. Split the cost of a new ac unit perhaps?

**A: that's a start.
**********

Once again Thanks so much for your time! By the way how did U become so knowlegable in this area

**A: my legal specialty is construction defect and real estate seller disclosure litigation.
 

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">
Top