• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rent charged for roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RDW1973

I am renting a house (no lease) and my landlord told me I owed $16000 because 2 years ago I had my girlfriend living with me. is this legal

adjusterjack

I am renting a house (no lease) and my landlord told me I owed $16000 because 2 years ago I had my girlfriend living with me. is this legal
There's no law against him "telling" you that. Without a written contract as to how much rent you pay per occupant no court is ever likely to award him any of nor is he likely to sue you for it since it's too large an amount for small claims court and he would have to spend money on a lawyer.

You can tell him to pound sand.

What he can do (if he wants to) is terminate your tenancy by giving you the proper notice required by Nebraska statute 76-1437(2):

https://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=76-1437

FarmerJ

Keep in mind as a month to month tenant your also free to give your proper written notice on real paper sent via a method that gives you a receipt such as confirmed mail delivery to the LL telling the LL your going to move and be done .( keep a copy of the notice stapled to your postal receipt) since you don't have a written lease your LL can only change terms with proper notice and cant go retroactive so if your LL wanted additional rent from you having someone stay with you such as a GF then it had to be written into a lease or proper notice of the change made first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">