• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rent Control Tenant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Misi

What is the name of your state? NYC

Hi,

I have a four unit apartment building which I live in. The people on the top floor have a rent controlled unit and pay $175 a month for 7 rooms in a great neighborhood. This rent does not come close to covering my costs for the apartment. Plus, they call the city about twenty to thirty times during winter, and complain there is "no heat or hot water" which is a lie.

In the past 10 years I got one heat violation and that was when they sealed off a room which doesn't have it's own radiator. I then had to spend thousands of dollars running a heating pipe into this spare room which even they did not want because the room did not have its own source of heat.

Is there anything I can do to recoup my losses or at least stop them from constantly making false claims of there being no heat or hot water. The problem is, when an HPD inspector comes, they sometimes cite us for other violations such as have cracks in an airshaft which also cost a couple thousand to repair and no one in the building cared about. I've also been cited for having "encumberances in the hallway" etc.

thanks in advance,
a frustrated landlord

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">