• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rent Increase at Lease renewal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ginny Wayne

What is the name of your state? Michigan I recently received a letter to renew my lease. My current rent is $944.00 per month in addition to
These Fees: billing adm fees-$3.95, pest control $2.00, rubbish $3.81,water $14.88,and sewer $12.26
Total rent $980.00 Month. My renewal letter stated my lease for 10 months will be $1016.00 this was the lowest one.
This is a $72.00 dollar increase plus the fees have to be added. I want to know is this legal.

adjusterjack

Is your city under rent control?

If not, it's legal. Even under rent control, that small an increase might be legal.

You get to choose to stay, or go if you think you can get a better deal elsewhere.

quincy

Rents have gone up in a lot of areas in Michigan. On a lease renewal, the rent legally can be increased.

You might want to check what the rents are for apartments similar to yours, in your complex if you are in one and also in the general area.

If you are a returning tenant, many landlords will not increase the rent to the full amount being charged in the same complex for the same size apartment. They offer a slight discount.

If you notice that other apartments are renting for more than yours, even with the increase, the landlord has offered you a discounted rate. This is pretty common. If you notice you will be paying the same as new tenants will be paying, you could always ask the landlord if he will give you a discounted rate for staying on.

Is there any reason, Ginny, why you think the renewal rate might be illegal?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">