• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rent increase because of new baby?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

evolutionrules

What is the name of your state? California
My wife and I are expecting our first baby in March. We feel we can get by in our one bedroom apartment until the baby is about six months old which gives us a year before we need to move. My question is: can the landlord increase our rent once our baby is born? The lease says he can raise it if another tenant is added but does a newborn fall under this category?

HomeGuru

evolutionrules said:
What is the name of your state? California
My wife and I are expecting our first baby in March. We feel we can get by in our one bedroom apartment until the baby is about six months old which gives us a year before we need to move. My question is: can the landlord increase our rent once our baby is born? The lease says he can raise it if another tenant is added but does a newborn fall under this category?

**A: if you are on a m/m lease, L can raise the rent for other reasons but not because of the baby.

JETX

And if you are on a month-to-month, the landlord can raise your rent with 30 days notice... and doesn't have to provide any specific reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">