• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rent Increase In New Jersey

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

egolde

Hi! I've been renting a house in New Jersey for the past 5 years without rent control. I received legal notice from my landlords lawyer on 11/7 stating "This will confirm that you are month to month tenant. On 12/1/00 your rent will be increased by 32%".

I've done some research and found the law requires at least 30 days written notice, while I only received 23 days. The law also requires that I be informed that, to increase the rent, the current month to month lease must end and a new lease must begin. I also believe a 32% increase is unconscionable.

My question is, can I prolong the increase by ignoring the letter and continue to pay my current rent and wait to prove my case in court, or I am I somehow responsible by not informing the lawyer that I had not received proper notice?

Thanks!

HomeGuru

In order to prevail, you would need to take a proactive approach by disputing the notice as illegal or defective, that is if the law is on your side.
You will win only on the lack of proper notice given. Your interpretation of the procedure to increase the rent is incorrect. A new lease is not required because rent can be increased on a a m/m lease. Since there is no rent control, L can raise the rent 1000% and it may not be justified but would be legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">