• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rent out pool home in FL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

STEPHAN

I would like to rent out a single family house in FL. It has a pool that was built in 1973 and just refinished.

The pool in the backyard (completely fenced in). However two sliding doors from the house go to the backyard.

On newer pool you need to have a barrier like a fence or a pool cover.

The family has two kids (9 and 10) that can swim. They are willing to sign a clause that they are responsible for the pool and making sure that nobody drowns.

However, is that enough? Do I need any other protection?

justalayman

The family has two kids (9 and 10) that can swim. They are willing to sign a clause that they are responsible for the pool and making sure that nobody drowns.

However, is that enough? Do I need any other protection?
the only "enough protection" is a big insurance policy.

Waivers keep timid or unknowing people from suing.

first, check the actual rules/laws/ordinances in place to see if there is something more required. If there is, a waiver is meaningless. If there is nothing more, a waiver is still limited in its' benefits. It never stops somebody that wants to file suit from filing suit, even if it might be a valid defense to the claim.

if a "new install" requires something different, I would seriously consider putting that something else in place. The fact that something else is required is proof that without it, it is considered less safe and with that knowledge, you knowingly allowed a less safe condition to exist.

FarmerJ

Besides your own property ins You must absolutely require proof of a renters policy with a high liability and re check your city county ords to make sure you have not missed any thing but do seriously consider making the changes needed to reduce the odds of someone else suing you and winning re things like barrier fencing / gates etc ( speak with your tax adviser but Ill lay odds if you make the additional changes re barrier fencing you still should be able to write it off as business expense )

justalayman

Oh, and the tenants obviously cannot release you from liability to other parties that may visit the home. At best they could indemnify you but what you have presented so far is not an indemnification.

And agsin, and indemnification won't stop you from being sued. It simply means the tenent would pay any damages you may be held liable for.

FlyingRon

If your area follows one of the uniform building codes, chances are that if you have doors from the residence opening into the pool area (such that you bypass the fence), those doors must have an ALARM on them. A locking cover is only a substitute for alarms/fences/etc... for spas.

STEPHAN

Thanks everybody.

So, I did the following:

I had the tenant sign a waiver.
I requested renter insurance.
I installed a pool cover that is a valid protection per new codes (the house still goes under old codes).

I will she how much it is to extend my insurance coverage (100K).

justalayman

psst, I would consider adding a 0 to that number. Some of the insurance folks here have said umbrella policies are all the rage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">