• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rent payment not received

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Connecticut law

I lived with a couple of other guys and knew that the landlord would try to screw us so when we moved out in May we got her to sign something that said that no money would have to be paid to her after a date that was months after we moved out. We received the security deposit back and have the sheet that she signed. Now months later she calls and says that we didn't pay her for a month's rent and she wants it now six months after we moved out and eight months since the last payment was scheduled to be made to her. She says she is going to take us to court (the rent was $4,000) but does she have any leverage. She does keep good records but it is just our word against hers. We had gotten record from her on some months that we paid her but didn't on the final (missing) payment. She did say that she would give us a payment plan but i don't want to pay her when we already did. She already screwed us out of about $500.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Thanks

C

Connecticut law

Well what then constitutes the end of the lease constact if not the receipt of the security deposit and a letter saying that we don't owe her any money? What could be more final than that?

HomeGuru

Connecticut law said:
Well what then constitutes the end of the lease constact if not the receipt of the security deposit and a letter saying that we don't owe her any money? What could be more final than that?
HomeGuru reponse: The bottom line is did you pay your rent on time and in full per the lease agreement? I have a feeling you were late and got into some sort of payment schedule or something for rental payments in arrears. So if that is the case, stop this BS. You are only stating your onesided version and not providing the real facts.

C

Connecticut law

You didn't answer the queston.

What consitutes the end of a lease!!!

C

Connecticut law

You are not invoking a lot of confidence in your legal capabilities and for the record, your honor, you still haven't answered the question.

But just to clarify:
-We have not entered into a payment plan.
-We paid the crazy lady as per the signed legal lease agreement
-As a lawyer you constantly get a one sided view of the situation and should have the ability to decide just based on the facts at hand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">