• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



State: Massachusetts

My father had a stroke recently and is unable to collect rent, etc. He was very unorganized so I do not know which tenant has paid. I know that it is ok to ask the tenant for receipts for past rent payments.

1. What if he declines to give me this info?

2. What should I do then about collecting the past due rent, if any?



I understand that I posted a similar question but you never answered my question. You said that it was legal for me to ask them for receipts for past rent. My question is:

1. What if they decline to give me these receipts.

2. How would I go about getting any info?



Senior Member
Then send them an eviction notice via certified mail rrr. If they paid they need to show receipts, other wise you can presume they did not pay. The reciepts are the evidence of payments. If you have to go to court the tenants must prove they paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential