• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental application and privacy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jxy

What is the name of your state? CA

My wife and I have recently filled out a very lengthy rental application that contains our SSN, DOB, driver's license #, bank accounts, employment history, past residence, etc. The landlord decided not to rent the place to us, so we ask for the return of our application but he refused. We are worry about the consequences of our personal information getting into the wrong hands. Does the landlord have the right to keep our applications? Or do we have any legal ground to ask for the return of our applications? Why is he so adament about keeping our applications when we asked him so many times to return them to us? Thanks in advance for your advice.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jxy said:
What is the name of your state? CA

My wife and I have recently filled out a very lengthy rental application that contains our SSN, DOB, driver's license #, bank accounts, employment history, past residence, etc. The landlord decided not to rent the place to us, so we ask for the return of our application but he refused. We are worry about the consequences of our personal information getting into the wrong hands. Does the landlord have the right to keep our applications? Or do we have any legal ground to ask for the return of our applications? Why is he so adament about keeping our applications when we asked him so many times to return them to us? Thanks in advance for your advice.

My response:

First of all, the application doesn't belong to you. Second, he needs that application to be able to prove any potential allegations that he did not discriminate against you, or deny you a rental based upon any other Federal or State laws that you might allege.

In short, the application is his property, and you gave your information freely. You didn't have to fill out the application, and no one was holding a gun to your head to do so. You could have walked away.

IAAL

jxy

Thanks, IAAL!

Guess that makes sense, but it would be nice to see a clause on the rental application where the LL would sign for non-disclosure. Thanks, IAAL!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">