• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rental bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

limpyL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA/MD/TX

I currently have 2 rental properties as well as my house in my name. I live in PA with a 2k morgage and my 2 rental property located in TX and MD run me 3600 a month. All of these are in my name only and have owned all but the PA house before i was married. After taxes I bring in

3100 Disability retirement federal govt
2000 SSA for Disability
1000 SSA for my daughter for Disability
1900 VA disability

I was told by a lawyer awhile back when times were tough that if i was to file bankruptcy that my Disability income would not count against me (It is all related to wartime/terriorist activity). I was able to find a renter and i was ok for a 2 years. Now my old tenants left with 8k in damages that i was able to repair but with that and the house being empty for 6 months now it was tough again for my wife and I. We have been trying to sell/rent it with 0 luck. Now my wife has lost half of her income do to down sizing in her company and we are in a real bind. My question is if I am able to sell the tx house(may have a buyer for payoff) but the MD house i can not sell. It was appraised for 409 and i owe 370. There are so many houses that are being forclosed on that are selling in the low 300-310 range. I tried to talk to the bank and they said they will not help me unless i am behind in my payments. I was also told that if i get behind the banks still do not have to work for me and I can get in more "trouble"

My question would be can i file bankruptcy and still be able to keep my house i live in?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA/MD/TX

I currently have 2 rental properties as well as my house in my name. I live in PA with a 2k morgage and my 2 rental property located in TX and MD run me 3600 a month. All of these are in my name only and have owned all but the PA house before i was married. After taxes I bring in

3100 Disability retirement federal govt
2000 SSA for Disability
1000 SSA for my daughter for Disability
1900 VA disability

I was told by a lawyer awhile back when times were tough that if i was to file bankruptcy that my Disability income would not count against me (It is all related to wartime/terriorist activity). I was able to find a renter and i was ok for a 2 years. Now my old tenants left with 8k in damages that i was able to repair but with that and the house being empty for 6 months now it was tough again for my wife and I. We have been trying to sell/rent it with 0 luck. Now my wife has lost half of her income do to down sizing in her company and we are in a real bind. My question is if I am able to sell the tx house(may have a buyer for payoff) but the MD house i can not sell. It was appraised for 409 and i owe 370. There are so many houses that are being forclosed on that are selling in the low 300-310 range. I tried to talk to the bank and they said they will not help me unless i am behind in my payments. I was also told that if i get behind the banks still do not have to work for me and I can get in more "trouble"

My question would be can i file bankruptcy and still be able to keep my house i live in?
**A: you should be able to if you get a good BK attorney.

bigun

Depends on how much equity you have in your home vs what, your state allows as an exemption.
Most bk layers give a free or lowcost initial consultation. Speak with a few and see what they suggest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">