• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental Deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

latigo

What is the name of your state? Iowa

This is the second time I have had problems with landlords doing this. I know that in IA the landlord has 30 days to return the money. The problem is, my former landlord is also my former employer. That in and of itself is not necessarily a problem, I don't mind having to sue them, that would actually be good. I still live in the same town, and they have my phone #. I did a walk-through with the "manager" of the place, and he asked me where I lived now, and I offered him my address, but neglected to have it already written down. I did tell him my phone # was the same, and he said he would be in contact. He hasn't, and the 30 days are up. I feel comfortable writing him a letter, and sueing for that matter. When we moved in, we video taped everything, and we also hauled out over a pickup load of the former tenants belongings as well as a lot of garbage, all documented on video. Do I, by law, have to write them a letter, or can I just file a small claims court suit? Also, does having my phone number, and moving only 3 blocks away in the same small town (pop. about 1000) constitute giving him instructions for return of the deposit, which we also discussed at that time? He said he wanted to have a "more thorough inspection done" than a simple walk-through. That leads me to believe the SOB just wanted to find a reason to keep the deposit. The place was clean, with cleaned carpets, scrubbed floors, everything. BTW, my deposit was my last paycheck with that company, so I would like to get it back. Thanks for any help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">