• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rental discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jomanjj

i am a 35yr old female in illinois, in the process of a divorce. i have 2 girls ages 5 and 8. i am looking to rent. one guy told me he had been advised not to rent to people in "my" situation. a different lady offered me a duplex, but later said she couldn't because i had young children. is this discrimination? i am financially secure with good job.

L

lmbsold4u

Hi, I am not an attorney, but in my opioion this is dicrimination. If I am not mistaken it is against the law to dicriminate against renting someone by color,sex,reliogion,handicap or family status. The only way I would think they could not rent to you is if you had to many people say occupiying a 1 br house. But the law allows same sex children to share a room, here in GA anyways. Good Luck, just keep searching and I would not mention to any potential landlord your personal status- ITS NONE of their business if you are going through a divorce. All that matters is that you can pay thet rent. :eek:)

Cvillecpm

No, this is NOT discrimination......read carefully, private landlords, owning 4 or fewer rental properties CAN DISCRIMINATE E*X*E*C*P*T FOR R*A*C*E. Since you don't say you are black, purple or pink, then yes, landlords can discriminate. A Realtor can't discriminate for any reason....the "situation" is that you may return to your ex so that your agreement to lease for a specifric period - like a year, is probably not going to be kept and statistics point this out. Additionally, if you have a restraining order (RO) against your ex, offer to provide a copy. If you have separation agreement, offer to provide it. If you have monetary or court award for support, offer to provide that. If you are selling your current, marital home, offer to provide a copy of the Realtor listing.....make your prospective landlord feel comfortable with your situation. Your post reads like you have a "chip" which is probably showing and turning off landlords. Your demeanor, attitude, presentation of yourself and your situation is important. Obviously you don't want to be in this situation and you are probably making your landlords decide they don't want to be in your situation with you.....

J

jomanjj

thank you for the info, i appreciate it. i do not have a chip, i am just very flustrated,scared....

D

dj1

Just remember the Landlord wants the rent money ON TIM and IN FULL every month..

But unless you have LOTS of cash in the bank, or maybe put up 3 or 4 months security...., hey they do that here in New York City especially to forigners, they make you pay up to 6 months up front! And is legal!

Its too risky to rent to you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">