• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental expenses for construction done in previous years back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

genemat

I am a homeowner in NY State. For several years example 2014-2017, I was slowly building a rental apartment in my house.

In 2017 I rented a part of my house and received rental income for it in 2017. Can I claim my building expenses I in incurred previous year (2014-2017) against my rental income I made in 2017?

FlyingRon

You may find lots of useful in formation in this IRS publication: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p527

If it had been an qualified maintenance/repair for the purpose of readying it for rental, it would be allowable (at least that in the year you had it available for rental). The problem is that this construction sounds more like a capital improvement. You don't get to just take that off the rental income, but it will increase your basis when you sell the property and will affect depreciation deduction that you should be taking.

LdiJ

You may find lots of useful in formation in this IRS publication: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p527

If it had been an qualified maintenance/repair for the purpose of readying it for rental, it would be allowable (at least that in the year you had it available for rental). The problem is that this construction sounds more like a capital improvement. You don't get to just take that off the rental income, but it will increase your basis when you sell the property and will affect depreciation deduction that you should be taking.
I am going to explain that a little differently because the OP may not understand that.

The money you spent converting the property into rentals is something that you would depreciate rather than expense. Depreciation means that you take a portion of the expense on a yearly basis until its all used up. Since this is your first year renting out the space you would add it to your basis of the property and that would make it part of the annual depreciation expense that you take for the property.

Here is an example. You paid 150,000 for the property and made 50,000 in capital improvements making it suitable for apartments. That makes your basis 150 +50 =200,000.

The depreciation life of a rental property is 27.5 years, so you would divide 200,000 by 27.5 = 7273.00 and that is the amount that you would expense yearly. This is a simplistic explanation. You will want to a tax professional to assist you with your tax return.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Thank you, LdiJ. That is correct. In addition, I should point out that the depreciation deduction is not optional. You had best take it, because you're going to have to recapture it anyway once the property is sold. The basis is used up by the depreciation whether you actually took the deduction.

Rental income tax is a bit involved. I'd recommend you get tax help for at least the first year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">