• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental Tax Laws and MIP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DannyOcean11

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Hi All -

I have two questions about my personal taxes..

In 2018, I moved to my now wife’s home and kept my other home. My plan was to renovate it and then rent it out. Plans didn’t work as well as I’d like and the rental process has been delayed.

I continued paying utilities, mortgage, etc but have yet to rent it out. I did make several improvements, around $8000 worth. What can I deduct here? If anything at all.

Second question is about mortgage insurance. I know congress keeps letting this expire. Will congress extend the mortgage insurance deduction this year? (In your opinion) Why do they keep letting this happen? This can potentially be a lot of money for families and I’m sure a lot of them never amend third taxes to claim this deduction if it’s extended.

Thanks

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Hi All -

I have two questions about my personal taxes..

In 2018, I moved to my now wife’s home and kept my other home. My plan was to renovate it and then rent it out. Plans didn’t work as well as I’d like and the rental process has been delayed.

I continued paying utilities, mortgage, etc but have yet to rent it out. I did make several improvements, around $8000 worth. What can I deduct here? If anything at all.
There would be no deduction because you have not yet made it available to rent. However, the improvements can be depreciated once you make it available to rent.

Second question is about mortgage insurance. I know congress keeps letting this expire. Will congress extend the mortgage insurance deduction this year? (In your opinion) Why do they keep letting this happen? This can potentially be a lot of money for families and I’m sure a lot of them never amend third taxes to claim this deduction if it’s extended.

Thanks
I don't expect the mortgage insurance deduction to come back at all.

DannyOcean11

There would be no deduction because you have not yet made it available to rent. However, the improvements can be depreciated once you make it available to rent.

I don't expect the mortgage insurance deduction to come back at all.
Thanks for replying back.

One last question... I still use my former house as an office since it’s 5 minutes from my companies HQs. Does that change anything?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">