• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental unit might not be legal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SharpiePanda

What is the name of your state? Oregon.
My boyfriend and I moved in to an apartment in a rural area in September. When we originally saw the unit it was still warm outside and we had no idea how bad the insulation was or how badly built the place really was. Once we moved in, we learned that bugs can come in from every crack in the place. One night we came home from work and there was a swarm of bugs in our living room. We let our landlord know ( she simply said "well its an old place" and did nothing) and bought some bug spray. At one point, a panel on our window pane came out while I was cleaning it because she used the wrong kind of sealant originally. Once winter hit, it became nearly impossible to keep the place heated, but at least the bugs were gone. We let our landlord know and she simply told us to make sure that we were using the gas heater she provided. When the bugs left, the critters came. I came home from work one night to find that my cats had killed a mouse. We'd also been hearing scratching on the roof and in the walls. We let out landlord know and she said she would give us some mousetraps and call someone. She gave us mousetraps, no one ever came. I had my dad, who is a state certified electrician, over to see my new place and he had informed me that the way she had the place wired up was illegal and a severe fire hazard. I honestly didnt know how to tell my landlord since she probably already knows. I simply bought rental insurance and started looking for a new place. It is March now, and my boyfriend and I will be giving our landlord 30 days notice and will be out by mid April. My question is, how can I prevent anyone else from living in this nightmare house? Can I report her to the local housing authority? I personally don't feel that this place is habitable and from what I've read online it may not be. I'm worried for the next person who lives here and I don't know if there is anything I can do. Any advice would be appreciated.

adjusterjack

All you can do is report the condition of the property to whatever agency enforces building codes.

Beyond that, whatever happens with subsequent tenants is out of your control.

FarmerJ

Have your father write a report that includes his findings and lic number and send one copy to the city / county inspections department and maybe to the fire chief and let inspections deal with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">