• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

renter avoiding bills/moving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Akyra

I live in Reno, NV and tried to help a friend and her boyfriend out by renting them a room in my house after they were suddenly evicted from their apartment. I should have seen that as a sign but I thought they were good friends. We packed, helped them move, took in their cat, gave them storage...etc The agreement was they were to pay $270/month utilities included plus basic+long distance. Only one month of rent was ever paid and I was constantly dodged over the other months. She would be at home only after I went to work and leave on my arrival. Basically she left without notice, with 3 months back rent due, a large phone bill past due, her cat and belongings still scattered, and a message she was moving home and would send money. I just got a call she is coming tomorrow(it has been apx.15 days) do I have any legal backing without a lease? Can she take her belongings if she has not paid in full? What are my rights in regards to her belongings and past due bills(abandonment, late fees, my credit rating)?
She is to arrive over the New Years Eve weekend therefore the sooner I can receive an answer the better. Thank you
for your time.
Sincerely
Akyra

HomeGuru

You must allow her to take her personal belongings but you can file a Small Claims action with respect to the rent and utility bills/LD charges. If you do it right away you can have her served while she is there although it may be too late for this weekend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">