• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

renter runs out on lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SLW

I am a landlord in Florida. I just gave my tenant notice (16Nov) as she was late (again) with her rent. On 18Nov she just picked up and moved out. A neighbor called me and I was able to confront her as she was packing up. she gave me 1 set of keys back - the other set her friend has and I wont get them back. she would not reply to my question about owing rent for November or that we have a signed rental agreement for 12 months. She's only lived there for 6 months. I did follow her to her new apartment complex. I am going to sue her (without a lawyer) for breaking the lease. I am sure I will win but I know she will not pay me. I anticipate her running away to another apartment. How can I get my money ??? Also, I just found out she is her in the US on a student/visa but she is not going to school - she works at a nightclub.

HomeGuru

If you are a landlord you must follow the rules of the game especially if you do not want to use the services of an attorney. One of the first things that you need to do is understand the game. This can be accomplished by learning the applicable L/T laws or at least know where to find them. This applies to ALL landlords posting on this forum. If you were given the privilege to drive a car, you must know the rules of the road which is the Traffic laws. If you are a landlord, you must also know the rules of property ownership and rental which is the L/T laws.

I will be more than happy to respond to questions based on any L/T laws in any and all of the 50 States. But you people are coming to this forum and asking questions that you should already know the answers to. Why? Because you are too lazy or ignorant to find the answers or too cheap to pay an attorney to help you.

I would like to spend my time helping landlords who are truly stuck with interpretation of the L/T laws, loopholes, strategies, ideas etc. rather than responding to these types of posts where the writer could have easily found out the answers simply by researching the State Statutes or calling the State Consumer Protection Office that handles L/T claims.
I have read the L/T laws for most of the 50 States and can say without hesitation that the laws provide the respective remedies to the Landlord for eviction, collecting rent, repair and maintenance etc.

Yes landlords, knowledge is power. Please spend some time learning the L/T laws. You will be a better and smarter Landlord.
Think of my position here on this website as driving up to a take-out window for free advice. I am working at the Freeadvice Drive-in and do not have time to research the laws for you but merely have time to look at your issues and respond quickly with your order. If you don't know what your order is because you have not given much thought or research, then please get out of the line. Also if this Drive-in only serves burgers and fries, don't order a steak dinner.
That's my sermon for today. Thanks be to God.

S

SLW

In reponse to Home Guru - Yes, I should have researched more on Florida L/T law before asking my question and becoming a landlord. I will learn from my mistakes. I have a neighbor whose a lawyer. She suggest I learn from my mistake and not go to court. she believes I will win the judgement but the court cannot make the tenant pay me. The tenant works at a nightclub (I would say she works for "tips"). I could try to freeze her bank account or have court garnish her wages. But it wont be a guarantee that I'll get my money back. Any suggestions??

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

SLW, you are so transparent. Without even addresssing HomeGuru's suggestion to retain counsel or research the law (expense or work for you) you just try to get your next question answered - free of charge and without work.

Stop the nonsense and go retain someone. Your retained attorney will explain enforcement of judgments to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">