• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renters Ins VS Homeowners ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ashley829

What is the name of your state? NY
My guest house is supposed to be occupied by my mother, (long story) She left many many months ago and has not been back, I have the heat set on 56 degrees. All of her belongings are still in the house, the burner went out, blew the valves off and water all over the place! Destroyed the inside of the home. I notified my mom and she said she has renters ins, Whom she called, I also called my homeowners ins. From what I understand her renters is for "contents only", Does content only include her personal belongings (i.e. her clothing, furniture)? What about appliances? Would that fall under my homeowners? As well as the carpets? Also the water damage has NOT reached the living room nor the bedroom, but it is heading there, The insurance claim agent told me to have her remove the furniture b/4 it also gets damaged??
And do you suggest a personal calim adjuster? What are the benefits of a private claim adjuster and just having the insurance agent send out an adjuster? Should we request mom to pay our deductible, due to her negligence (of not physically occupying the home)?
I have several questions under Landlor/tenant, and all advise has been followed. Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">