• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renters insurance abroad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool

What is the name of your state?CA
I was robbed in Latin America. The country has many branches of law like state federal, tourist, and city police. I had a tourist police translate for me and they threw the report out. Then they had me get a police report from the city police months later which they also threw out. Do I have any recourse with this? Can they throw a police report out if it was translated or if the second report was months later?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What is the name of your state?CA
I was robbed in Latin America. The country has many branches of law like state federal, tourist, and city police. I had a tourist police translate for me and they threw the report out. Then they had me get a police report from the city police months later which they also threw out. Do I have any recourse with this? Can they throw a police report out if it was translated or if the second report was months later?
We only address questions regarding legal matters in the U.S. Whether it was legal for the police in whatever country you were robbed to toss your complaint is something that depends on the law of that country. Similarly whether your rental insurance company in that country could ignore the police reports also depends on the laws of that country.

quincy

This is a duplicate thread that has been removed. It has already been answered on the other thread.

zddoodah

Why am I only seeing "Taxing Matters'" response and not the original post?

"I had a tourist police translate for me and they threw the report out. Then they had me get a police report from the city police months later which they also threw out."

Who are "they," and what do you mean when you say "they threw the report out"?

"Do I have any recourse with this? Can they throw a police report out if it was translated or if the second report was months later?"

Reading these questions in the context of the subject header of your post, I'm guessing that "they" might refer to your renter's insurance company. I'm also guessing that the reference in your post to California means that you live in California but that the robbery occurred in some unnamed "Latin American" country. Finally, I'm guessing that, although your post is silent in this regard, we're supposed to infer that, upon your return from this unnamed country, you made a claim against your renter's insurance policy for the losses you suffered as a result of the robbery. If those guesses are correct, no one who hasn't read your policy can opine intelligently about whether the losses are covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">