• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renters Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dirk Jackson

What is the name of your state? NEW YORK

Today I got a $25,000 renters insurance policy from State Farm Insurance for my basement apartment. The agent did not have me sign any of the forms and said the insurance is effective immediately. I only was required to put down a 2 month fee deposit and my monthly premium is $16.00. I asked the agent if I was supposed to sign anything and she replied no it's not necessary. So I left with my copy of the policy. I feel that something isn't quite right. Am I right to feel this way? Dirk.

E

epighany

Yes you should be worried, I'm in Florida and I signed a form. I'd contact someone different at the same company and ask them what the procedure is.

tammy8

Property insurance doesn't usually require legal signatures like auto policies do. Not unusal to get no signatures. You have a paid receipt AND a copy of the binder, right? You should receive a hard copy from SF in a couple of weeks.

D

Dirk Jackson

Thank You too Tammy. You both have been an enormous help. I found out yesterday that a law was passed a few years back that doesn't require signatures on policy applications. As you said what is valid is the policy once recieved in the mail. I found out this info by calling other agents. Thanks again. Dirk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">