• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renters Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cool

What is the name of your state?CA
How I was robbed in Latin America. The country has many branches of law like state federal, tourist, and police. I had a tourist police translate for me and they threw the report out. Then they had me get a police report from the city police months later which they also threw out. Do I have any recourse with this. Can the American ins. Co. throw a police report out if it was translated or if the second report was months later?

Last edited:

quincy

What is the name of your state?CA
How I was robbed in Latin America. The country has many branches of law like state federal, tourist, and police. I had a tourist police translate for me and they threw the report out. Then they had me get a police report from the city police months later which they also threw out. Do I have any recourse with this. Can they throw a police report out if it was translated or if the second report was months later?
What does this have to do with renters/homeowners insurance? Did you file a claim with your insurer in the hopes of having the theft of your property while visiting “Latin America” covered?

You will have to consult with an attorney in the area of the country where you reported the theft if you have questions about the police actions there. US law will not apply.

Last edited:

quincy

Sorry the insurance company is American.
And your insurer needs proof that you actually had property stolen? Seems reasonable.

Did you invest in travel insurance?

Does your renters/homeowners policy include a provision that covers you when traveling outside the US? Many renters policies won’t.

Last edited:

quincy

Your duplicate thread was reported to the moderator. Please add any additional information or any additional questions here. Thanks.

Last edited:

quincy

What is the estimated/claimed value of the property that was stolen? What did your insurer say about the police report you submitted?

Last edited:

quincy

$3k. They threw out both police reports.
Your insurer threw out the police reports? Or did the police throw out the police reports? And why?

What’s your insurance deductible?

Was the thief apprehended?

adjusterjack

$3k. They threw out both police reports.
Did you keep copies? Presumably you had to fill out forms. When you filled them out you could have photographed them with your cell phone before handing them in.

Anyway, there's probably nothing you can do about the police reports at this point unless you want to see if that police department has a website with reporting forms that you can fill out.

As long as you have insurance with a US insurance company, file a claim, you'll be assigned a claim number and a claim rep who will instruct you further. Meantime make an inventory of the stolen items, describing the items, when you bought each item and how much they cost. Dig up any receipts you might have for them. Have all that ready for when the claim rep asks for them.

I find it hard to imagine that any claim rep would "throw out" any document that was submitted for a claim. Please clarify what happened with the police reports.

quincy

It appears a claim was already filed and the insurance company threw out the police reports.

From where was your property stolen? Does your insurance policy exclude “off premises” theft?

FlyingRon

I've never seen a travel insurance policy or homeowners/renters policy that's going to cover a on-the-street stick up (is that want happened)?
Travel insurance typically covers only lost/stolen luggage.

quincy

I've never seen a travel insurance policy or homeowners/renters policy that's going to cover a on-the-street stick up (is that want happened)?
Travel insurance typically covers only lost/stolen luggage.
It can cover items stolen from a hotel room. The place of theft generally matters.

That said, it might be better to NOT file a claim as a claim of theft can raise future costs of insurance - and, combined with the deductible, any recovery might not be in Cool’s financial best interests in the long run.

zddoodah

Here's what I posted in your other thread before it was closed:

"I had a tourist police translate for me and they threw the report out. Then they had me get a police report from the city police months later which they also threw out."

Who are "they," and what do you mean when you say "they threw the report out"? I agree with "adjusterjack's" statement: "I find it hard to imagine that any claim rep would 'throw out' any document that was submitted for a claim. Please clarify what happened with the police reports."

"Do I have any recourse with this? Can they throw a police report out if it was translated or if the second report was months later?"

Reading these questions in the context of the subject header of your post, I'm guessing that "they" might refer to your renter's insurance company. I'm also guessing that the reference in your post to California means that you live in California but that the robbery occurred during a visit to some unnamed "Latin American" country. Finally, I'm guessing that, although your post is silent in this regard, we're supposed to infer that, upon your return from this unnamed country, you made a claim against your renter's insurance policy for the losses you suffered as a result of the robbery. If those guesses are correct, no one who hasn't read your policy can opine intelligently about whether the losses are covered.

I've never seen a . . . homeowners/renters policy that's going to cover a on-the-street stick up (is that want happened)?
Coverage C of a typical HO-4 renter's policy will "cover personal property owned or used by an 'insured' while it is anywhere in the world." However, there may be any number of limitations and exclusions, so it's necessary to read the actual policy at issue.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">