• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

renters not cooperating

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

spigrandma

I am retired and purchased a property to have as rental for vacationers. At closing I was handed two leases from the previous owner, he had rented two of the four units to other people and they have 6 months left. I do not want these renters, am I obligated to his lease, or do I need to issue a new lease to these people with my terms. I am in Texas.

HomeGuru

You were given the leases at closing?
when I purchase apartment buildings I get copies of the leases months before closing along with a rent roll, delinquency list, list of repairs and maintenance, security deposits etc.

If you are going to be an astute landlord you must learn the applicable laws. In all States, when the property is sold on a standard sale, all fixed term the tenant leases survive the sale. This means that the existing leases stand and must be honored by the new property owner.

I surely hope that the previous owner transfered to you the tenants security deposits.

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

One way or the other, you're probably bound to honor these tenancies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">