• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renters policy paying for criminal act? & "Uninsured renters" coverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

ShrimpBurrito

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

1) Most liability policies I have seen specifically exclude coverage for criminal acts, or acts committed by the insured with intention to cause harm. Has anyone seen an auto or renter's policy that does not have such an exclusion?

2) Has anyone seen a rider in a renters policy that provides liability protection to the insured in the event the insured suffers harm from an uninsured party? (An uninsured motorists clause of sorts, but for a renters policy.)

Thanks for your replies.

Last edited:

ALawyer

Most companies use homeownwers policy language developed by a national organization - the Insurance Services Office -- and I can NOT imagine any insurance company being so stupid as failing to exclude intentional and criminal actions of its insureds. There's nothing to be gained by covering arsonists.

As for others damaging your property, you would be covered. It's like collision insurance in auto coverage. Uninsured motorists covers personal injury you suffer from a 3rd party.

S

ShrimpBurrito

That's what I thought, but I just wanted to get another opinion. Thanks for the tip on the Insurance Services Office.

S

ShrimpBurrito

Although a renters policy may not extend coverage for criminal acts, I have discovered that a so-called criminal act is often not necessarily considered legally criminal if the person who committed the act is proved insane.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">