• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renters Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maya187

I live in the state of California. My sister has been living with parents,she payed bills. Parents sold the house and gives verbal warnings that sister has until the end of the month to leave. Middle of month comes, new house owners demands ownership of property and of my sister's and says she has to get out. Is my sister considered a tenant and does she have renters rights? Also new house owner starts moving in her stuff and harassing my sister too and saying she has to leave. We call police, and police arrive after new house owner is absent. Officer explains that my sister had to be properly evicted and must have legal paper work stating she has to leave, and if harassment escalates to call 911. New house owner comes back after officer leaves and situation escalates and she has changed locks to lock my sister out, we called 911. Two officer arrive and tell us my sister has no rights because there is new home owner and we have to leave. I explained to him a previous officer acknowledged she had renters rights, he said that officer was wrong in everything he said. I asked to see legal documents and he declines and says those documents are private to new home owner.

Just Blue

I live in the state of California. My sister has been living with parents,she payed bills. Parents sold the house and gives verbal warnings that sister has until the end of the month to leave. Middle of month comes, new house owners demands ownership of property and of my sister's and says she has to get out. Is my sister considered a tenant and does she have renters rights? Also new house owner starts moving in her stuff and harassing my sister too and saying she has to leave. We call police, and police arrive after new house owner is absent. Officer explains that my sister had to be properly evicted and must have legal paper work stating she has to leave, and if harassment escalates to call 911. New house owner comes back after officer leaves and situation escalates and she has changed locks to lock my sister out, we called 911. Two officer arrive and tell us my sister has no rights because there is new home owner and we have to leave. I explained to him a previous officer acknowledged she had renters rights, he said that officer was wrong in everything he said. I asked to see legal documents and he declines and says those documents are private to new home owner.
You mean she stayed in the house after her parent moved out?

Eekamouse

She sounds like a squatter to me.

FarmerJ

Well I imagine there is no way your parents are going to permit her to live with them again and likely there was good reason as to why they didn't permit her to move in with them ! I feel bad for the new owners because your parents home likely has been for sale for more than a month SO she must have known all this time that she would have to move out. Your parents should have given her a proper notice to get out the day they listed the place. BUT despite your sister knowing they wanted to sell and that they listed and had a closing she dug in her heels. Your sister should consult with a Attorney. ( Perhaps you should let her live with you after you take the time to read and fully understand your states landlord tenant laws first)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Actually, I do believe that she is a tenant and needs to be properly evicted (even by the new owners). That requires proper notice (either 30 or 60 days). What the new homeowners have been doing is illegal. Yes, as FarmerJ said, and attorney is crucial.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">