• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renting, building foreclosed on

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NH

Ok this is a long story so I am skipping a lot and just giving the facts.

I moved into this building on August 15th this year. Rent was adjusted to be lower than the asking.

We paid Sept, Oct. Nov rent. At 6:30 pm on Nov 1, we saw something taped to our door. Upon inspection it was a note telling us that the building was no longer owned by our landlord but by XXXX representing blah blah bank. They wanted to 'verify' the occupancy of the apartments.

On Nov 2nd I contacted them after speaking with legal aid. I gave them my name address and informed them I just sent a note to the old landlord letting him know that heat was not working properly on the 1st along with the rent.

She stated that she would email the bank to see what she could do about getting it repaired. I called again on the 5th of Nov., and she stated at that time she was waiting on them to contact her back. We played this game for a few more days and I sent a letter stating they had to fix it immediately.

On the 8th of November we were all served wtih eviction notices from the bank. They gave 30 days notice (but due to the timing I am not certain they are following proper procedure.)

Now today I am planning to file paperwork to have the court demand they fix the heat in this property. I have not been officially evicted at this point.

This was a short term lease while we await our house to be finished, shooting no later than the end of February for move in there.

What are my rights?

Do they have to serve you before rents normally due? The reason for the evictions is "other good cause" outline by NH state law.

I had a hard enough time finding a month to month lease until our house was finished, theres no way I will find another for 2-3 months only.

BL

What is the name of your state? NH

Ok this is a long story so I am skipping a lot and just giving the facts.

I moved into this building on August 15th this year. Rent was adjusted to be lower than the asking.

We paid Sept, Oct. Nov rent. At 6:30 pm on Nov 1, we saw something taped to our door. Upon inspection it was a note telling us that the building was no longer owned by our landlord but by XXXX representing blah blah bank. They wanted to 'verify' the occupancy of the apartments.

On Nov 2nd I contacted them after speaking with legal aid. I gave them my name address and informed them I just sent a note to the old landlord letting him know that heat was not working properly on the 1st along with the rent.

She stated that she would email the bank to see what she could do about getting it repaired. I called again on the 5th of Nov., and she stated at that time she was waiting on them to contact her back. We played this game for a few more days and I sent a letter stating they had to fix it immediately.

On the 8th of November we were all served wtih eviction notices from the bank. They gave 30 days notice (but due to the timing I am not certain they are following proper procedure.)

Now today I am planning to file paperwork to have the court demand they fix the heat in this property. I have not been officially evicted at this point.

This was a short term lease while we await our house to be finished, shooting no later than the end of February for move in there.

What are my rights?

Do they have to serve you before rents normally due? The reason for the evictions is "other good cause" outline by NH state law.

I had a hard enough time finding a month to month lease until our house was finished, theres no way I will find another for 2-3 months only.
http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/objectId/B8CE60DC-0D00-4E6B-8DC71AF1165C89EA/104/138/139/ART/

So basically I am screwed and have to move AGAIN and then AGAIN?

I'll have to file a lawsuit against the landlord but what about the realtor who allowed the move in KNOWING this was a possibility?

BL

So basically I am screwed and have to move AGAIN and then AGAIN?

I'll have to file a lawsuit against the landlord but what about the realtor who allowed the move in KNOWING this was a possibility?
See legal aid again and see if they'll contact the bank on your behalf to give you 3 months .

Housing lawyers can also help you negotiate for more time from your new landlord. banks are becoming more flexible, giving renters two or three months after foreclosure to leave, rather than taking them through the eviction process. "A lot of times the banks don't want to hire an attorney or have to go to court, they just want their house back," he notes.

Go after your landlord
If your landlord hasn't paid their mortgage, you could sue them for failure to honor your lease, . Take your case to small claims court and ask to be reimbursed for the cost of moving, application fees and credit report checks incurred when seeking other rentals, and the difference, if any, between the new rent you'd have to pay and the old one.

Whether you'd be able to collect anything is another question. "These are people who haven't paid their mortgage in four or more months," As far as collectors go, you'll have to wait at the end of the line.

Well I'll hope that I can at least file and win that lawsuit. I just wonder if I should name the realtor as well?

As far as the heat goes, I'll call a repairman myself and see if I can't get it fixed. If that issue was resolved, this place would suit us fine for the next few months. We just need more time so we can move this one friggen time and be done with it already.

They can have the apartment , as soon as I move into the house. Hopefully on the time schedule that has been set.

What a frustrating situation for anyone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">